Sunday, June 19, 2011

Master's in Applied Linguistics Online from UMass!

http://www.umassonline.net/degrees/Online-Degree-Master-Applied-Linguistics.cfm


English as a Second Language, Foreign Language Pedagogy(Concentrations)
The MA Program in Applied Linguistics at UMass Boston is comprehensive in its scope and designed to introduce students to the theoretical, empirical and practical dimensions of applied linguistics. The Program emphasizes both theory and practice. These areas of inquiry are reflected in faculty and student research and the intellectual diversity characterizing the content of the various courses that students will be taking.
Curriculum:

Its interdisciplinary core curriculum includes courses in:
  • basic theoretical linguistics, applied linguistics
  • psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics
  • discourse analysis and ethnographic research methods
  • ESL/EFL methodologies
  • cross cultural studies
The program is thus designed to enable students to understand the diversity of issues inherent in the study of language so they are well prepared to teach and do research in applied linguistics. Students pursuing the MA in Applied Linguistics have a wide range of opportunities, including conducting research, working with community-based organizations, or preparing to teach in various contexts, such as public schools, K-12, adult education, and language schools outside the United States. Many of our students go on to pursue doctoral work in such fields as linguistics, education, and literacy studies. Prospective students need not have teaching experience to be considered for acceptance into the program.
The program operates on a cohort model whereby all participants complete the same program of study over a two-year period.
Program Highlights:
  • First - Rate Faculty
  • Flexibility and Convenience
  • Teaching English as a Second Language Concentration 
Financial Aid:

Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with your program manager or advisor to determine your eligibility. Generally, if you are matriculated in a degree program and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each semester, you may qualify for financial aid. Please review our Financial Aid Checklist below.
  1. Fill out the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov. It is important to list the University of Massachusetts Boston school code number 002222.
  2. Next, download your required Financial Aid Forms here.
  3. Check your financial aid status using WISER.
  4. For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at finaid@umb.edu
Contact:
For more information or if you have further questions, please contact Financial Aid Services at 617.287.6300 or at finaid@umb.edu.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm trying to decide between the local Masters in TESL (at Rhode Island College) and the UMASS Boston online applied linguistics degree. I read this bad review at http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMB_g.html and got a bit scared! Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have a perspective for you. I looked at the link and saw this:

    "The greatest mistake of my life was to enroll in the University of Massachusetts, Boston’s Applied Linguistics Online MA program..."

    In response, though I have no personal knowledge of the program nor any vested interest in it, I would say this:

    1) You live closer (R.I. presumably), so you should be able to make phone calls in the same time zone and knock on doors if needed by driving a few hours in the worst case scenario. This was not the case for the person posting the complaint living in South Korea.

    2) In general, as I have counseled my readers on other one of my other blogs, www.puttheotherfootdown.blogspot.com, after emailing and not getting a response from institutions you should start printing out your emails and repeatedly faxing the emails to them until they answer (one fax per day). It is amazing how fast I've gotten results from that with corporations refunding me all the money they ripped me off of before. Start wasting their paper, and they prioritize you as an emergency. Just another email... well, email feels optional for people. They respond if they are in the mood. Then if they are not in the mood, they loose track of it.

    3) You should probably do what is cheaper in choosing between the two colleges. Money is money and you never no how much you are going to earn with the degree.

    4) You should think about what you prefer, typing and reading things online or showing up for and sitting through a class. I had both in my M.A. program and I greatly preferred the few online classes now. But look at me, I'm churning out a quick response to you online and I don't even know you! And I have about 20 blogs under various names including mystographer, memosphericist, Sky Thoth, and a bunch of other names. Obviously I don't mind typing and posting things online.

    I hope this all helps.

    Good luck!

    Sky Thoth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I like the fax advice...
    Thank you for your point of view. It's very helpful to hear it.
    Thanks!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an old post, but I was also wondering the same thing. I'm looking into doing an applied linguistics MA. I was looking at local places, but I wanted online since I have a crazy work schedule to go somewhere right now! But if it could kind of blend both, it would be awesome. I requested more info and wrote an email to them about that, but so far, nothing :( Sigh..I also heard to look at Howard's program, which would be local for me. So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete